- Project Name: Sino Iron - Concrete Installation: Tailing Storage Facility Thickeners
- Client: Citic Pacific Mining
- Project Commencement Date: February 2011
- Project Completion Date: October 2011
- EPCM: MCC Mining WA Pty Ltd
- Project Location: Cape Preston, WA
- Number of staff at peak: 200
- Volume of concrete: 15,000m
- Volume of earthwork: 120,000m³
- Tonnes of REO: 3,000m³
- The Sino Iron project is a highly technical, value-adding operation requiring significant processing and transport infrastructure.
- The project has access to over two billion tonnes of measured indicated and inferred magnetite ore and, when operational, will be one of the world’s largest mines. It will process 84 million tonnes of ore per annum, to produce sales of 27.6 million tonnes per annum of both pellets and concentrate.
- The mine’s end product – magnetite, in concentrate and pellets – is an important commodity as it is one of the raw materials used to make steel.
Project Scope of Works
Construction consists of:
- Bulk Earthworks and Rock Excavation – through drill and blasting. Depth of excavation is in excess of 15m and volume of over 120,000m3.
- Concrete works including the construction of the 2 nos TSF Tailing Thickeners, the Pumping Stations and the connecting tunnel structures.
- Other associated works includes pipe and services rack supports.